Designing a mobile application to improve User Engagement via Gamification
Long Tail Pro
Improving Existing Software for Long Tail Search to Increase Efficiency and Conversion Rates
2 UX Designers,
1 UI Designer
Starting at $4,800
The design implemented in a functional product
Long Tail Pro makes keyword research simple by finding the highest traffic and low competition keywords in any niche. Long Tail Pro is suitable for anyone looking to find high traffic keywords with low competition. Using Long Tail Pro anyone can save huge amounts of time, otherwise spent on keyword research and competitor analysis.
With Long Tail Pro, simply utilize the built-in Keyword Competitiveness metric and automatically calculate a simple 0-100 score using LTP’s proprietary algorithm that is consistently being tested and tweaked. The KC Score brings relevant ranking metrics together into one easy number which lets you know what to target.
- Client engagement
- Access to end users
- A highly professional manager on the client’s side
- Competitor analysis
- Stable functionality
- One user flow
- Usage statistic logs provided
- No time for user research
- Terminology inconsistency
- Technical limitation
- No UI/UX resources of the original app design no one to share the previous design decisions
Despite all the cool features and clear profit to the end user, the app struggled with complicated UX and even main functionality proved to be extremely hard to understand. The interface was fighting for the user’s attention with colorful secondary buttons and labels. So our main goal in this project was to make the app more appealing and intuitive.
We began with applying a new navigation approach. Focused mainly on the UX side and general application logic, we replaced the menu on the left side. Rearranged the page element, the way our customer suggested.
Before designing anything new, we shared our main ideas with the client, so we could be sure that we were on the right path.
Significant client engagement allowed us to do small sprints every 1-3 days. After agreeing on everything with the client, we went on to apply Lean UX methodology. The next day we discussed the problems before we could prepare a first rough mockup.
User Pain Points
Our UX team prioritized functionality and made a decision to rebuild information hierarchy. We chose to remove
User testing showed that users were faced with complexity in adding a new keyword algorithm. It seemed to be hard.
Are the form fields related to each other?
What should I enter first? Are all fields required?
What if I want to get results from multiple search engines?
We tried to find the answers to their questions and make sure that users won’t have to think about them in
Finally, we provided the users with additional information to help them make better professional decisions. To reach that, we substituted the old summary with an infographic.
Meanwhile, our UI Designer prepared a few versions of visual appearance and we offered our client to choose the style direction:
With the next iteration, we came up with a mockup that became fundamental for all the future changes and the rest of app design:
After that, we felt we could move on to the next section. The second main section provides users with a different kind of functionality, so we needed to adapt both visual appearance and the UX pattern of the “Rank Tracker” section to it.
Also, at first, the client suggested adding groups of keywords to the “Project” section in the app and we developed a few interface versions. But after some consideration and prioritizing we decided to implement this idea in a future update.
We decided to provide some changes
With each sprint, we came closer to the desired result.
The summary section was changed multiple times, search type selection was redesigned, a simplified version of prefilters inside “Google Adwords Suggestions” and the table content, were developed.
UX designers in collaboration with a UI expert crafted a design solution:
At this stage, we were faced with multiple challenges with the filter settings, as it’s not generally recommended to create a dropdown with less than 3 items. In that case
Finally, user research showed that people couldn’t understand the zoom icon, so we decided to alter it and hide the prefilters.
By that time, the most of the design had been done － the main user section as well
After getting some extra time, as well as a very detailed instruction from the client, we started to work on a more attractive data representation of the summary and came up with the final layout:
The Cieden team was fantastic to work with. It created a beautiful design for us on time and within budget for a project that could easily have spiraled out of control with a different agency. It went above and beyond on everything, offering multiple designs when I wasn’t sure what I wanted, responding quickly to all feedback, and even improving mobile screens after I had approved a final design, simply because the team thought it could do better.