Improve existing software for the long tail search to increase efficiency
2 UX Designers, 1 UI Designer, 1 Manager
2 months of design, 2 months of support
240 hours, 53 screens
The design implemented in the functional product after two months of work
Long Tail Pro makes keyword research simple by finding the highest traffic and low competition keywords in any niche. It is suitable for anyone looking to find high-traffic keywords with low competition.
Using Long Tail Pro anyone can save huge amounts of time, otherwise spent on keyword research and competitor analysis.
Despite all the cool features and clear profit to the end-user, the app struggled with complicated UX and even main functionality proved to be extremely hard to understand. The interface was fighting for the user’s attention with colorful secondary buttons and labels. So our main goal in this project was to make the app more appealing and intuitive.
Who and why analyzing SEO metrics of the words? What is the most important information for them? How well do they understand the subject area? How can we walk them through the system?
SEO specialists decide to find stronger keywords. Users explore keywords to find something they can make money of. What steps do they make to complete each task? What information do they possess?
When we realize what kind of users work with the system and what type of tasks they use it for, we can find the most problematic interface parts from the user’s point of view.
Now, as experts, we develop a couple of approaches to solve them. We needed to find the best option to fit the client’s budget, programmers’ capacities, and most importantly the end-users.
We began by applying a new navigation approach. Focused mainly on the UX side and general application logic, we replaced the menu on the left side. Rearranged the page element, the way our customer suggested.
Before designing anything new, we shared our main ideas with the client, so we could be sure that we were on the right path.
Significant client engagement allowed us to do small sprints every 1-3 days. After agreeing on everything with the client, we went on to apply Lean UX methodology. The next day we discussed the problems before we could prepare a first rough mockup.
Our UX team prioritized functionality and made a decision to rebuild the information hierarchy. We chose to remove the standard bootstrap button, hide additional functionality and leave one main CTA ― “Save Keywords”.
User testing showed that users were faced with the complexity of adding a new keyword algorithm. It seemed to be hard.
We tried to find the answers to their questions and make sure that users won’t have to think about them in the future. Finally, we provided the users with additional information to help them make better professional decisions. To reach that, we substituted the old summary with an infographic.
Meanwhile, our UI Designer prepared a few versions of the visual appearance and we offered our client to choose the style direction.
With the next iteration, we came up with a mockup that became fundamental for all the future changes and the rest of the app design.
After that, we felt we could move on to the next section. The second main section provides users with a different kind of functionality, so we needed to adapt both visual appearance and the UX pattern of the “Rank Tracker” section to it.
Also, at first, the client suggested adding groups of keywords to the “Project” section in the app and we developed a few interface versions. But after some consideration and prioritizing we decided to implement this idea in a future update.
We decided to provide some changes for the “Rank Tracker” section. We tried to upgrade the user infographic, add filters, and additional functionality to the table.
With each sprint, we came closer to the desired result. The summary section was changed multiple times, search type selection was redesigned, a simplified version of prefilters inside “Google Adwords Suggestions” and the table content, were developed. UX designers in collaboration with a UI expert crafted a design solution.
At this stage, we were faced with multiple challenges with the filter settings, as it’s not generally recommended to create a dropdown with less than 3 items. In that case, it should be replaced with a radio button multiple choice. At the same time, we didn’t want to decrease the discoverability of all the 3 types of search the system provides; also, we needed to add settings for language and location in a way that won’t break the visual hierarchy. Finally, user research showed that people couldn’t understand the zoom icon, so we decided to alter it and hide the prefilters.
By that time, the most of the design had been done － the main user section as well as as the other small ones. The only thing left was a nested page inside “Keyword Research” that used to look like a table, full of numbers.
After getting some extra time, as well as a very detailed instruction from the client, we started to work on a more attractive data representation of the summary and came up with the final layout.
The Cieden team was fantastic to work with. It created a beautiful design for us on time and within budget for a project that could easily have spiraled out of control with a different agency.
It went above and beyond on everything, offering multiple designs when I wasn’t sure what I wanted, responding quickly to all feedback, and even improving mobile screens after I had approved a final design, simply because the team thought it could do better.